Monday 31 May 2010

Soon to be a thing of the past......


24.05.10
Multiple Daily Injections (MDI) a few facts.....
MDI requires you to give a fast acting (bolus) insulin with each meal (3 times a day) and a long acting (basal) insulin once a day. I have been on MDI for a number of years with different types of insulin. Currently I am on Apidra which is the short acting (bolus) insulin before meals and Lantus before bed which is the long acting (basal) insulin. The basal insulin gives a background level of insulin over 20 to 24 hours and the bolus insulin is given just before a meal.
MDI can mean 1460 injections a year. Meanwhile, insulin pumps require an infusion set change only about every 3 days, or 122 insertions a year.
I think that's one of the things I'm most looking forward to about getting a pump......feeling less like a pin cushion!!! If people ask I usually say the injections don't really bother me but if I think about it properly......yes, they do bother me, a lot!!! Only having to stick a needle in myself once every 3 days instead of 4 times a day will be bloody fantastic!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog